Tuesday, August 12

Why?

It’s every child’s favorite question. And every parent’s greatest irritation. Why?

You can ask this question about anything. But let’s focus it a bit today. And let’s ask the question, why do we do this? Why discover yourself? Why struggle and go through all the things I’ve talked about before?

In all honesty…I can’t answer that question for you.

I can’t even make up something that’ll sound really good to everyone that reads this. :-)

You see…everyone will have a different reason for walking the path or starting the journey. For some people, it will be for someone else. Sadly, those people won’t stay on the path with that reason. It’s too hard to do for someone else. That’s just the plain truth. Some people will be here because they know that they are missing something in their lives and are reaching out for anything that might give them a clue about what to do. These people are still looking outside for guidance and direction in a quest to know their self. Some will be here because it seems like the right thing to do. They will be here until it starts to get difficult because they don’t believe in what they are doing.

So, why are you still here? Wait, that sounded bad. I don’t mean, go anywhere…I just wanted to know where your head and heart were at.

Maybe it might help for you to know why I am here.

OK…here goes:

I am 33 years old, and I know that I am not living my life to its fullest potential and possibility. I myself am not to the point yet where I am able to do, see, hear, speak, and act to my personal best potential. Sure, I’ve got some things going for me. But the things I have are transient. I know that there is a deep core to me that contains everything that I could be. I can tap into it at times and that helps me when things get hard and I get down. I know that the ideal image I have for myself, is attainable. I can be everything that I want to be. My life can be what I want it to be. So, I believe, with all my heart, that I will eventually become that image I have for myself. I just beat one mountain down at a time.

It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first. ~ Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

OK…now you know why I do what I do…let me ask you another question. One that might be a bit more pertinent to your situation. :-)

What is keeping you from starting today?

Ouch…sorry. This one might hurt, if you’re honest with yourself. But, I want you to take a real long, good look at the reasons and tell me if they are honestly valid, journey ending reasons. Or, if they are simply the excuses that you use to keep from pushing out of your comfort zone and into an unknown place. Yeah, I know. That’s a hard one to take. Kind of like a punch in the face, but I’m simply not willing to let you wallow in some half-assed, lame excuse, when you should and could be doing something to make your own life the best it possibly can be. See, even if I don’t know you, you’re my people, my friends, in all honesty, my family. And I care that you are actually doing something about whatever it is that is causing you pain. So, go on…list them out and see if there is any merit to the reasons you use to keep you from trying.

I’ll wait right here while you do. :-)

That way, I’ll be right here to take your hand and help you start. After all, everything is less scary when you’ve got a friend by your side.


"We stand on a mountain pass in the midst of a whirling snow and blinding mist, through which we get glimpses now and then of paths which may be deceptive. If we stand still we shall be frozen to death. If we take the wrong road we shall be dashed to pieces. We do not certainly know whether there is any right one. What must we do? Be strong and of good courage. Act for the best, hope for the best, and take what comes... If death ends all, we cannot meet death better." — James Fitz.

1 comment:

Susan said...

It does help to have fellow travelers. I do it because the other choice is totally unacceptable.