Thursday, August 14

Patience is a…Virtue?

We’ve all heard that particular saying; in fact, we’ve probably said it a few times ourselves. But if you look around, there is a definite lack of patience in people today. We want what we want and we want it right now. We have come to the Instantaneous Gratification Generation. And it’s a belief that has infected most everyone alive today. I had to laugh when my 12 year old actually told me that waiting 35 seconds for his food to cook in the microwave was “just too long!”

What has happened to us as a people? When did the winner become the guy that died first? What in the world is the rush?!

Just so we can communicate easier and be on the same page…let’s see what Mr. Webster has to say.

Patience is the capacity, habit, or fact of being patient. OK, so here, Webster is really of no help.
Patient is bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint. That’s a bit better. It actually gives us something to think about. So Patience then becomes the habit of bearing pain and trials calmly and without complaint. OK, I’ll come back to this in a bit.

Virtue is a beneficial quality or power of a thing. So, it’s good to have virtues. :-) But not vices.

So, let’s rewrite our old saying. “The habit of bearing pain and trials calmly and without complaint is a beneficial quality.” I know, it sounds SO much better the other way. Sue me.

I want to have you think about the idea of patience being a habit. Habits are something that are developed of time and through repetition. Repetition you say? That means that I have to repeat the process of bearing pain and trials calmly and without complaint? Wow. That just sucks doesn’t it? Again, I think about people today and how we are always looking for the quick fix. “I need patience and I need it NOW!” And further than that, I can actually recall times that I have said, to myself and others, that “OK. Now I’m patient.” Like it was only a sticker that I had to attach and I was there. :-) I want to laugh out loud now anytime I hear someone say something so ridiculous.

So, how can we develop the habit of patience? Living in this world where we measure things by the millisecond and constantly want everything faster and easier, what are we to do? Here’s a thought that goes a little against the world today…SLOW DOWN! :-)

What would happen to your day if you actually stopped and took 15 minutes just for yourself? Would the world come to a crashing halt? Or would you be able to take a few moments just for yourself?

I believe that it comes down to a paradigm shift in our mindsets and beliefs. See, for whatever reason, we all seem to believe that we need to get more done as fast as possible. But do we really have to? Yes, I know that we all have deadlines and due dates. But what would happen if we took a little bit more time and rushed a little less and made certain that what we did was the best possible for ourselves?

“If you don’t have enough time to do it the first time, how will you make time to fix it when it’s wrong?”

Patience is one of those virtues that will benefit you in SO many ways. It will allow you to weather most any situation without completely losing it and bashing someone in the head with a brick. Oops, did I just say that out loud? :-) Patience is necessary for any sort of personal growth or spiritual exploration. You will NEVER be truly successful in life if you do not find a measure of patience for your own life and EVERYTHING that will happen in it.

I know that it’s hard to keep calm in the face of personal problems, tornados and whirlwinds that blow through our lives. But what are the other options? You could rage with or at the storms, and, honestly, become a part of the problem. You could cower down and hope that it blows over, and, again, become part of the problem. You see, I fully believe the following quote from the movie Die Hard: “You’re either part of the solution or part of the problem, now stop being part of the fuckin’ problem and start being part of the solution!”

You have everything inside you to develop patience in your life. Just take your time, remember to put everything into its proper place and priority, then take a few moments and think of the best way to respond or handle whatever is happening.

Life is not meant to be a race to the finish. It’s a journey; one that is meant to bring out all the hidden treasure of your soul. Be sure to stop and take a moment, or LOTS, to enjoy this journey and look around. See the beauty that surrounds us daily and ENJOY it. You might even want to sit and take it all in. That’s OK. Look, I’ve saved a spot for you, right here beside me.

No comments: