Friday, March 5

Stand up and dance…

So, I was online a couple nights ago and I ended up on Youtube. OK…ok…I know, I need a life. Sue me.

I was loading up one of my favorite clips from the group “Playing for Change” and a thought popped into my head. After a quick search, I found what I was looking for…Mr. Matt Harding. Or, as some people might know him…That guy that dances really badly on the Internet. If you haven’t heard about him take a second a watch this little clip.


Now, having watched that, answer me this question…

What makes Matt so special that people from all around the world wanted to come out and dance badly with him?

If you think you’ve got a great, deep, philosophical, meaningful answer…hold that thought. :-)

See, I don’t think that there’s anything at all that special about Matt Harding. Sorry Matt. :-) He’s really just like any of us. If you doubt me, check out how he describes himself on his site…

“Matt is a 32-year-old deadbeat from Connecticut who used to think that all he ever wanted to do in life was make and play videogames.”

See what I mean? Now, don’t get me wrong. There is something about Matt and he sums it up in the next sentence…

“Matt achieved this goal pretty early and enjoyed it for a while, but eventually realized there might be other stuff he was missing out on.”

See, Matt realized that there REALLY is a great big old World out there and that life is what happens outside, not what goes on in your office, building, or cube at work. Even more than that, he DID something about it. He chose to dance.

I believe that music and dance and other forms of art are things that unite everyone, no matter where they live, what race or religion they are, or how they live right now. We all can be moved by music, to action or to tears. We all can feel that joy and happiness in dancing wherever you are, no matter how bad you might dance. Those are things that speak directly to the human spirit. Things that join us together and help us to push aside the things that divide us.

I read and see SO many things every day that attempt to emphasize our differences and try to pull us apart, drawing those lines in the sand. We’ve all seen it and sadly, I think most people tend to believe those things. Or rather, they tend to focus on those things that make us different. I would submit to you that, yes, everyone is different and honestly, that is a wonderful thing. But today, in our World today, it’s the things that unite us and give us a commonality that are important.

We’ve lost sight of the fact that we are all HUMAN. We are all residents of planet Earth. We are all in this together.

Today, I’ve got another challenge for you. It’s really a simple one. :-)

Dance.

That’s right. Just dance. Celebrate the fact that you are part of the human race and dance. When you’re standing in line at the grocery store. Dance. When you’re getting gas for your car. Dance. After work, during work, with friends or family or even neighbors. Turn up the car stereo or sing on your own. Just don’t miss another single day to realize that you are a part of something huge and wonderful. Don’t miss another moment to feel that incredible blessing that we call life or to share it with someone else. Anyone else. We’ve all been given the same blessing. I think it’s time we ALL started celebrating together in that fact.

Come dance with me today. Let’s laugh and sing and most important, DANCE. I’ll be the one looking like a spaz. Not that I really care anyway. :-)

No comments: