Wednesday, April 15

Interlude Number 2

I know how hard it is to open your heart and bare your soul to another person. So, with that in mind, I’m going to give you another break today from the 12 Steps. Today I want to talk about passion.

Now, I’m not talking about the “Oh my God! YES! YES! YES!” kind of passion. Although that does have its place in our lives and is a great thing in and of itself. No, today I want to talk about your life passion. What is it in your life that you are passionate about. What is it that when you think of it you get all jazzed up and full of energy. Something that you can talk forever about and everyone around can actually feel the energy that you’re producing.

Do you even have something like that in your life?

Oh, I can hear a lot of you right now…well, my kids/spouse/girl(boy)friend/etc is what I’m passionate about.

Let me just put the record straight on this little line of thought.

BULLSHIT!

People don’t make your life. They are a part of it and walk the journey with you, loving, supporting, challenging, and being both good and bad in it. But they are NOT your passion for life. They are external. If they were all taken away, you would grieve, for certain, but you’d still have a life to live. You’d still have to have something that gets your ass out of bed in the morning.

Sadly, for most people, it’s simply the fact that they need to work to live, pay bills, eat, etc. That is SO not how life is supposed to be lived. You should be in touch with your core and KNOW what makes you excited to start the day.

Let me give you a real life example. Let’s call him Mr. X. :-)

Now, Mr. X is a completely normal guy in most every aspect. He’s got some issues, but, again, that’s normal too. Now, I’ve know Mr. X for a long while now and he is a typical person in that for as long as I’ve known him, he’s hated his job. And that’s usually on the good days. :-)

He’s got some very good reasons for it. I’ve heard them and share some of those reasons myself. Now, whether or not he realizes it, Mr. X feels stuck. He HAS to have the job because others are depending on him and there are ALWAYS bills to pay. So, everyday he comes in to work and spends his time fighting and miserable only to go home exhausted and dreading the next day.

But just recently, I saw something new in Mr. X. I felt an energy come out of him that I’d NEVER experienced around him before. He was smiling like a kid and I could see the passion inside him as he talked. It was an amazing transformation right in front of my eyes! I was stunned, happy, and grinning back at him. And as soon as we were finished talking, I could see and feel that passion and energy leave.

The next day, we were back to the accepted norm. The moment had passed and I was afraid that it wouldn’t come again. But see, I know something that he doesn’t. I know that somewhere inside his heart and core, that passion is just waiting to come out again.

He also doesn’t know that I’m going to help to bring it back out every chance I get. :-)

I want to encourage you all to have a Mr. X moment today! See what that passion feels like and know that you CAN have that every day of your life. You don’t have to, nor should you, give up everything you have right now to chase your dreams, but chase them you SHOULD!

No one has ever said, “Gee I wished I’d done more of that job I hated.”

Find it…Live it…Be it. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes! I'm passionate about reading your blog. =)

I had that passion for education and was so lucky to realize it early in life and head straight for my goal. You still shouldn't get me started talking about teaching reading or writing or math. =)

It didn't mean I didn't have days I didn't want to go to work, 'cause I did, but 95% of the time, I loved every minute of it, and the children gave me many more laughs than tears.

I'm passionate about quilting and wounded soldier projects and my country and my friends. I totally agree with you that life without passion is hardly worth the bother.

You go help Mr. X. He needs you.