Thursday, April 30

Getcher Groove On!

Ok…now, before going any further reading today, check out this amazing little video.



Now that you’ve seen that awesome little clip I want you to think about what you just saw. See, there are some people that believe that math is a universal language, or binary, or love, or whatever. I believe that there are many universal languages that we can all use to communicate with each other. However, I think that the best and most complete is the language of music.

It’s a language that can evoke strong emotions from everyone. Joy, happiness, laughter, pain, sadness, and tears. It doesn’t matter what language the song might be being sung in, you can feel the emotion and know what the song is about.

Think about the video again for me. Do you remember what you saw? Odds are, you probably don’t, but I bet you’re humming the song to yourself right now. :-)

“When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see
No I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh now now stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me”

It’s a beautiful song of universal fellowship and brotherhood. It applies to EVERYONE. There isn’t a person that can say, “I have NEVER felt that way before.” That’s what makes music so powerful. It speaks to us on a deeper level than any other language we could possibly ever use. The only thing that might be better would be telepathy (and if you’ve figured that one out, call me RIGHT NOW!) The simple fact is that music doesn’t exclude anyone, but rather, pulls everyone into one moment. It encourages us to live right in the moment. And EVERYONE responds to it. We all sway to the music, tap your foot, bob your head, or even sing along.

“If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
And the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me, stand by me-e, yeah”

Eventually, we will be gone from this planet. Someday, we will move on. Regardless of the reason, regardless of the method, we will end. I hope and pray that before that happens, we are able to find a way to stand together, shoulder to shoulder, and share the moment that music brings to us all. We’re not enemies, none of us. We are, all of us, human beings. Brothers and sisters living on this tiny little world.

I will encourage you all to take a day, one whole day, and reach out a hand to everyone that you meet. Smile at everyone that crosses your path. Talk to them all and be a bright spot in their day. Find the music that you care in your heart and soul and let it come out. Bring it to the surface and share the moment with everyone around you. And for one day, just that one day, do your part to make the world a perfect place for all of us.

“Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me, oh now now stand by me
Oh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me

Darlin', darlin', stand by me-e, stand by me
Oh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me”

Know that today, and every day, you are a light for someone else. You can be, and probably are, the music in someone else’s heart.

I love you all, and believe in you more. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Know that every single day, you are a light in my life. You live inside me all the time.

A teacher early in my career said, "Remember, smile at every child during the day. That may be the only smile they get in life that day."

I always tried to remember it, and also to pay a compliment to any child, even one passed in the hallway, if there was an opportunity. We don't know what horrors reside in the lives of others, and just a little smile can be a pick up they remember forever.

I still remember a compliment paid me by a complete stranger when I was ten. I didn't have an awful life and I still remember.