Wednesday, March 11

(UN)Healthy Living…Part Deux.

OK…so, we’re going to see exactly how many parts we can get out of this. :-)

We just talked about the value of laughter in your life. Tell me…did you laugh any yesterday? How about today? It’s one of the easiest things you can do to extend your own life. Hell…if I wouldn’t be dressed in that nice tight white jacket, I just might laugh ALL the time. I mean it!

So what are we going to talk about today? Oh!! I know…

We hear people saying all the time that you need to “Understand your place!” and usually it’s said as a bad thing.

“Well, he just didn’t understand his place.”

Or even better, you get the quaint aphorisms like, “A woman’s place is in the home.”

BLAH!!!

Understand your place…what a load of crap! I mean that with all my heart. If I asked you if you understood your place…could you REALLY answer me? Oh, if you’re like me and are going to be a smart ass…you’d say something like, “Sure…my place is at Atlantic and Hodges. A nice 3 bedroom apartment actually.” :-)

The world we live in today provides us with an amazing amount of stress in each and every moment. If you are constantly told that you don’t fit in, treated as if you don’t belong, or expected to try to be something you’re not, then you’ll eventually explode from the stress.

“Your place” is right here in this world. Living your life to the absolute BEST of your own ability. “Your place” is following that inner core of values and beliefs that make you an individual. “Your place” is right where you are, for good or for bad, because at this moment in time, you can’t be anywhere else.

So often we watch people that try to climb out of where they are. They are focused and determined. And really…good for them if they make it. But for every one that makes it, hundreds (if not more) don’t and they fall back to where they started, or lower.

Oftentimes, when we get completely focused on rising above where we currently are, we look for any opportunity to make that jump, and we miss everything that’s happening around us. It’s almost as if it becomes an obsession for some people. That crowning moment when they can give the world the finger because they WON!

Did they?

I think a lot of our world’s stress comes from the fact that, no…people don’t understand their place. They refuse to see the beauty of where they are, the opportunities to be the best person they can be in THIS moment, and usually, the wonderful hearts and spirits of the people that are around them WHERE THEY ARE NOW.

Do you understand your place? Can you name it and describe it to me?

I can.

It’s right here.
This moment.
This breath.
The place where I can be me.
The time when I can be happiest.
The only people I care to share it all with.

It’s called…the NOW.

:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were mean yesterday, so I was tempted not to leave a comment, but here I am. =) I don't know if your place and your time are the same thing. If I'd stayed in my "place," I'd be living a poor white trash life. Yeah, I enjoyed the steps along the way, but I definitely changed my place. =)

Some good thoughts, minus the semantics, though. I think it is important to enjoy the present and not let it be missed in favor of some future time when things will all be better.