Monday, November 3

All F’d up…

“How could I be so happy
And still feel so messed up inside
I've broken all the records
For the unhappiest man alive”
– “Million People” – DoubleDrive


Given that we ALL wear masks to some degree or other, this particular feeling shouldn’t be anything new to you. I see SO many people walking around laughing and smiling and acting like they haven’t a care in the world and life is the best it could absolutely be. I’m not surprised by that really, or the fact, that I would bet you, that at home, or by themselves, their smiles fade and the laughter dies as they struggle to figure out what is going on and how to make it through one more day.

So what do we push onto every one of the unwashed masses suffering this way? Pop another Prozac and take another Xanax and push every feeling you’ve ever had away.

Now…I’m looking and seeing that anti-depressant and sleeping pill prescriptions are off the chart and we’re making the companies millions and millions in the process. So, at least THEY’RE happy!

I’m pretty certain that this isn’t how we’re supposed to be living life. And if this fits you…STOP IT! You can’t be living the life you want or in the ways you want to or are meant to deadening yourself to your life. Now, don’t think I’m saying quit everything. I’m not a doctor, but I KNOW that you can hurt yourself more by stopping cold turkey. But you should try to consider getting out from under the burden and weight of such a false coping mechanism.

Maybe I’m just WAY out there, but I believe that life is meant to be experienced. And unfortunately, we can’t pick and choose the experiences we want to have in life. We have to take the great, wonderful, and awesome with the bad, horrible, and painful. See, life isn’t about NOT feeling things, but rather, understanding HOW to feel things.

Most people feel things in their life. Happiness, sadness, joy, peace, anger, pain, love, etc. But they also don’t know HOW to feel those things.

How do YOU feel your life?

Do you let your feelings and experiences run like a train over you? Oftentimes leaving you broken and trampled in its wake? Guess what…I bet you do.

And that’s NOT how it’s supposed to be. Life isn’t a railroad looking for the next target. It’s a wonderful river that will carry you through to the end, yes, and soak you to the bone and probably make you shiver with cold sometimes, right before floating you through a beautiful sunny patch. It’s the experience that brings you joy and wonder and pure amazement.

So…how do we do it? How do we make it through life and experience everything that life will give us and not become a chunk of road kill along the way?

I believe that it comes down to acceptance and faith. Acceptance to know that, yes, life will hand you shit as well as cake sometimes. That’s just the way life is. It doesn’t mean you’re getting picked on, or singled out. Sometimes, life’s a bitch that way. But you balance that out with faith. Faith in the belief that YOUR life is ultimately supposed to be for YOUR good. Faith that even if and when the bad times come, there is always good waiting for you.

I know it’s not easy; I would NEVER lie to you like that. But I think it’s a way to live unfettered and free from anything that will keep you from the fullest experience you can possibly have.

“Take my hand and walk with me, the best in life is yet to be.” - Anonymous

2 comments:

Gail said...

Thanks once again Brandon, after hitting a speed bump of life today, I came running over to see what you were sharing. Right on target.

Hugs
Gail (Susan's friend)

Anonymous said...

i love this one