Monday, September 29

Give a little bit…

We only have a short time here in which to really make a difference. Sure, with medical science we have extended our average lifespan to upwards of 80-90 years. But is that REALLY a long time? No. It’s not.

And out of those 80 years, at least 20 of them are spent in schooling and growing and learning, just to be ready to face life on your own two feet. OK, maybe for most of us that number should be a bit higher. But let’s just go with 20, k?

And in all honesty, the last 15 or so years have us in a very diminished state where our effectiveness for change is very reduced. Not saying that it’s not there…it’s just reduced. :-)

So, that leaves us with what? 40 years or so to make a difference in this world? Still think that’s a lot of time?

And what do MOST of us do with those 40 years? We scramble and rush and fight and claw to get to the top of some imaginary mountain and call down all the gold and riches from the heavens we can. Right? Yup. We chase the all mighty dollar and try to get as much STUFF as we can.

But really…what does that leave us with? A mountain of stuff? And an equally high mountain of debt? Hey…that’s the American way, right? :-)

I want to propose something to you today. A new way of living…or rather, an old way that most of us have forgotten.

Instead of burning ourselves out chasing the ever elusive dollar, try to spend your time chasing the hearts of other people. I’m not talking about chasing all the girls (or guys) that you can see. As fun as that may be…that’s not what I’m talking about here.

What I’m talking about is touching another person’s life and doing it for the better. We all have the capacity to love one another, honestly we do. But some very few of us actually DO it. We would rather spend our time caught up in all the shit that is this world. We watch others in need, or suffering, or maybe we don’t even see them at all…and we don’t do a damn thing. We sit back in our comfortable little life and tell ourselves that it’s not our problem. We make all the excuses we possibly can. And we let them pass right on by.

Well guess what? It IS our problem! Small kindnesses that didn’t have to be given are the most precious gifts you can ever give to someone. And you never know…you just might change someone’s life.

Don’t believe me? Check out a little story…then get off your ass and start living FOR something great. :-)

******************
One day, when I was a freshman in high school. I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school. Her name was Hannah. It looked like she was carrying all of her books. I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all her books on a Friday? She must really be a nerd.'

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on. As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward her. They ran at her, knocking all her books out of her arms and tripping her so she landed in the dirt. Her glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from her. She looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in her eyes.

My heart went out to her. So, I jogged over to her and as she crawled around looking for her glasses, and I saw a tear in her eye. As I handed her her glasses, I said, 'Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives.’

She looked at me and said, 'Hey thanks!' There was a big smile on her face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped her pick up her books, and asked her where she lived. As it turned out, she lived near me.

We talked all the way home, and I carried some of her books. She turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked her if he wanted to play a little football with my friends. She said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Hannah, the more I liked her, and my friends thought the same of her.

Monday morning came, and there was Hannah with the huge stack of books again. I stopped her and said, 'Girl, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday! She just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Hannah and I became best friends. When we were seniors, we began to think about college. Hannah decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem. She was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Hannah was valedictorian of our class. I teased her all the time about being a nerd. She had to prepare a speech for graduation. I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak Graduation day, I saw Hannah. She looked great. She was one of those people who really found themselves during high school. She filled out and actually looked good in glasses.

She had more dates than I had and all the guys loved her. Boy, sometimes I was jealous. Today was one of those days. I could see that she was nervous about her speech. So, I patted her on the back and said, 'Hey, you'll be great!'

She looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. 'Thanks,' she said.

As she started her speech, she cleared her throat, 'Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends... I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story.'

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as she told the story of the first day we met. She had planned to kill herself over the weekend. She talked of how she had cleaned out her locker so her Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying her stuff home. She looked hard at me and gave me a little smile. 'Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable.'

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this beautiful, popular girl told us all about her weakest moment.

I saw her Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.

Not until that moment did I realize its depth. Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life. For better or for worse.

No comments: