Monday, August 18

First Rule of Flyin’

Mal: "Ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. Know what the first rule of flying is? Well I s'pose you do, since you already know what I'm 'bout to say."

River: "I do. But I like to hear you say it."

Mal: "Love. Can know all the math in the 'verse but take a boat in the air that you don't love? She'll shake you off just as sure as a turn in the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home."
Serenity


Love. There is SO much that’s been written about love, that it’s almost impossible to bring anything new to the table. But I’ going to try anyways. :-)

What kind of love is it that keeps the ship in the air? A Love of self? Maybe for some people. A Love of stuff? That definitely fits a lot of people. A Love of someone else? Most people fit this one I think. But is any of that enough to keep the boat in the air when things are going wrong? Looking at the world today…I’d have to say no.

So what, then, is going to keep us going strong when life sucks? How about this…a Love of Life. Some people may call it God, others Allah, some the Tao, and if you’re in AA, it’s your Higher Power. For now, I’m going to call it a Love of Life. A far reaching love of everything that can be encompassed in this existence we call Life.

Now I’m not talking about a touchy feely, “love the one you’re with” kind of Love of Life. I’m talking about the whole enchilada. Loving every part of Life, all the people that are in Life, all the things that happen in Life, everything, down to the smallest detail. I believe THAT’S how you keep the boat in the air.

It’s not that you won’t be knocked around by the winds and turbulence, it’s just that you will roll and swift with it all. If you realize that THIS Life is what you’ve got and that EVERYTHING that has gone before and that will come after is forging you into the person you are…then you’ll stay the course.

So, what am I talking about with this Love of Life? Does that mean I have to love everyone? I’m pretty certain that I ‘m hearing that thought out there. :-) And…I can’t give you that answer. Sure, it’d be great if you were able to love everyone. That makes for a more peaceful life. But I’m not so naive as to think that most of us can do that. But there is something about learning to be happy with your life, even in the midst of a horrendous storm. After all…I can probably think of some people that have life much harder right now than you do. I know, I know. That doesn’t really help in getting to the Love of Life point of view.

All I can tell you is this…no matter what is going on in your life, or how hard it is or has been; you are where you are for a reason. You are who you are because of what you’ve gone through. And you will be who you will become because of what is coming. So, love it all. Even the hardest things that are thrown your way. Then you can face anything with a smile and know that you can turn any situation into something beneficial for your life. That’s how a Love of Life keeps the boat in the air. It provides its own updrafts.

Eventually, someday, you might even find that YOU are the boat and that it’s your Love that is helping you to fly.

Anyone besides me believe that they can fly? I’m not crazy, nor do I jump off things flapping my arms like crazy. :-) I just believe that someday, I’ll learn to fly and finally be free to go where my heart truly desires. And when I get there, I know that I’ll be home.

See you in the skies!

Make my way back home
When I learn to fly
Foo FightersLearn to Fly

1 comment:

Susan said...

Love is the reason for everything, I think. Thanks, Brandon!