Wednesday, August 27

Building the Heroic in You

OK…first off, let me tell you right here at the start…today’s post is going to be an intro post. I’m launching a small series about becoming heroic in YOUR life. I can’t think of a better way to spend your time than in becoming a hero. For you, your family, your kids, your friends, your friends’ kids…everyone that you touch, in other way or another will benefit by you becoming heroic.

So…go grab your cape (mine is a black with dark purple tiger stripes on it) and let’s figure out how to be HEROIC!!!! :-)

I found a listing of the Heroic Traits and I’ll put them below. However…I will do some personal editing as we go, because I don’t exactly agree with the entire list. :-)

Sacrifice Sacrifice is the forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.
Determination Determination is a fixed intention or resolution; a firmness of purpose or resolve.
Loyalty Loyalty is the feeling of allegiance or the act of binding oneself to a course of action.
Courage Courage is that firmness of spirit and swell of soul which meets danger without fear.
Dedication Dedication is a selfless devotion; complete and whole hearted fidelity or the act of binding oneself to a course of action.
Intrepidity Intrepidity is firm, unshaken courage.
Valor Valor is courage exhibited in war, and cannot be applied to single combats.
Selfless Selfless is the quality of unselfish concern for the welfare of others and acting with less concern for yourself.
Conviction Conviction is a fixed or strong belief; a necessity of the mind or an unshakable belief.
Focused Focused is the ability to direct one's energy toward a particular point or purpose; to concentrate one's energy.
Gallantry Gallantry is adventurous courage, which courts danger with a high and cheerful spirit.
Perseverance Perseverance is a persistent determination.
Fortitude Fortitude has often been styled "passive courage," and consists in the habit of encountering danger and enduring pain with a steadfast and unbroken spirit.
Bravery Bravery is daring and impetuous courage, like that of one who has the reward continually in view, and displays his courage in daring acts.

If you read this at all like I did, you will notice that there are a few traits that are basically repeated and can be combined into one. Courage jumps to mind right now. But don’t worry; I’ll take care of everything you will need.

But first, I need you to do something…right now. I’m hoping that by now, you can see some of the value of cultivating the Heroic Traits in your life. Or, if not that, then you can at least see the positive impacts that the Traits can have on someone or just life in general. My faith is in you that we are there on the same page on this. So, right now, I want you to promise yourself (working on trusting yourself here) and me and anyone else you want to help you be accountable for this, that you will, for the next 15 days (two weeks) take some time each and every day to SPECIFICALLY work on building the Heroic Traits in yourself and your life. No half way commitments here, I won’t accept that. As Yoda says, “Do…or do not. There is no try.”

It’s OK if you don’t want to, or can’t, make this commitment. I will think nothing less of you. Honest.

If you do make the commitment, feel free to email me anytime to let me know how you’re doing, or to ask questions, or share a story or two. Whatever. I will be the first to admit that I’m no professional here. You’re not paying me for what I think. So, I guess you can determine the value of what I say, based on how much you spend for it, if you want.  This is just something that is important to me and my life.

I hope you’ll join me in breaking out of your comfort zone and your shell and start developing the Heroic in you.

Tomorrow…Sacrifice. :-)

Same Bat-Time!
Same Bat-Channel!

No comments: