Wednesday, September 10

It keeps going and going and going…

I want someone to tell me why it’s SO easy to quit! Our world seems to accept…and sometimes…even encourage us to quit. We hear people all the time. “Life’s not fair!” or “The deck is stacked against me.” or “No one loves me.” And it’s a prevailing attitude in the world today! I’m sorry…but…WTF!!!

This is something that is shocking and amazing to me. That we have become a people more obsessed with the negative and darker side of things. I, myself, don’t ever watch the news on TV anymore. I usually try to avoid the newspapers too. Why? Because the only stories that get covered are the tragedies, the murders, the rapes, the injustice, etc. When was the last time you saw an uplifting and really positive story on the news? OK…outside of the Phelps-fish winning 8 gold medals…I’m talking the normal, regular, every day news.

You know I’m right. Good, uplifting, heartwarming news just does not sell. We have become a people that are obsessed with the bad. We want to see it every day. It’s what we spend our hard earned cash on. It’s almost like we are a people of junkies, that have built up a tolerance for the level that we were at and now we need more and more to get back to the feeling we had before.

The spirit of our world has become a caustic and dark thing. We are SO quick to anger, judgment, violence, condemnation, etc. There is almost no tolerance for one another anymore. I will say it again…WTF!!!

We have become a people filled with bitterness and jealousy. We want what someone else has and we don’t want to have to struggle for it. That is the most popular dream. Winning the lottery. The lottery brings in billions of dollars a year. With the odds of winning ranging from 1 in 18 to 120 million, you don’t have much of a shot at all. The proverbial snowball’s chance in hell seems about appropriate. And yet…in 2007 over 1/3 of Americans believed that winning the lottery was the ONLY way to become financially secure. HUH??!!

When did we become so lethargic as a people? We are all amazed by the Phelps-fish and what he accomplished. Want to know his secret? He busted his ass every single day and NEVER quit. He held it in his heart that he was going to be an Olympic swimmer and wear that gold around his neck…and he DID!

We’ve made quitting SO easy anymore. Over 50% of marriages now end in divorce. WHOA! You go ahead and tell me that quitting isn’t easy. Even relationships are shareware, try-before-you-buy, with all the appropriate escape clauses in place.

Let me tell you something…if you want to succeed in this world, if you want to achieve your dreams, if you want to live life as a Hero…QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION!

It’s just that simple. There is only one way to quit in life and it’s a terminal choice. And there’re no do-overs. So what are we to do to get past this “Gonna Quit” syndrome?

First thing, is to understand that YOU are responsible for YOUR life. That’s it. No one else to blame for how your life is going or been. And you do NOT have the ability to live someone else’s life for them. As soon as you understand that your life is your own; then you have the choice and have made all the choices to get you where you are and lead you to where you are going. Choices all have consequences. You have to accept the responsibility of every choice that you make. Good or bad the results of your actions are yours. This is the only way to live a Heroic Life.

Second, and this one is VERY important…YOU have to believe in yourself! There is no success unless you believe that you can do it. Even if you fail in something you try, you learn what mistakes you made, pick yourself back up and try again, or go a different path. The point is…YOU keep moving forward because YOU believe you can.

It all comes down to a personal decision…Are you going to let the world run you over and keep you flat or are you going to stand up, take what’s yours, and fly free? It’s hard work and a battle, but I hope to see you doing the Rocky pose some day. :-)


To me, flying free is doing what I want to do, even if it's different from what everybody expects me to do. I'm flying free when I win the battle between me and the people who thought I should go down this road and I find my own road.
Crystal Waters

1 comment:

Susan said...

We're surrounded by negativism. Maybe we need to "cowboy up," as you put it, and become voices for the positive things in the world, and in our lives. We are as we think, and are responsible for ourselves, just as you said. We can help each other be more positive!